Sunday, March 1, 2009

The last week of February of 2009

It's been a whole week since I even opened my blog, or checked on any others. I just now checked on Gayle and her guitar find, and of course, Linda's. You have been busy and insightful, sister.
We have had a busy week. On Monday I subbed in 3rd grade. Most of the day was good, but there was a couple incidents. There is one little boy that constantly seeks attention by being vocal or naughty. I was talking to him when I heard someone crying. He was holding his neck and told me that his friend had choked him. I finally got it figured out. It seems that the friend wanted to talk to him, and pulled on his sweatshirt hood to get his attention. Oh my! They had just come in from recess, so I finally got them seated and on with the lesson.
On Tuesday we finally had the Dr. appointment with the specialist at OHSU. We took him the CD of Mike's MRI so he could view what was going on. After discussion with another doctor, they came to tell us that, yes, Mike does have a golf ball size tumor in his nasal cavity, but no, they are not going to do anything about it at this time. Within the next month, Mike will get another MRI to see if there is any change, but the doctor is 98% sure that the tumor is slow-growing and benign. Wow! What a relief. The doctor said at Mike's age, 74, that as long as it wasn't bothering him, he'd let it go. He said Mike would probably die with it some day, but not because of it.
On Wednesday I subbed in Music. I had 4th grade, 3rd grade, 2 junior high classes, lunch, 1st grade, 2nd grade, and finally finished the day with 5th graders. I printed word searches for all of them, different searches for each grade, and turned on music videos while they worked. It was a very good day. The only trouble I had was with my grandson, and that wasn't much. He just called a girl a name. He hasn't learned yet that this isn't the correct way to flirt. During the junior high classes, we did a word search of music of the 50's and 60's. I played a CD of music of the 50's and 60's, and we even watched a little bit of Elvis. It was fun.
On Thursday Mike and our son, Tim were going into Portland to see Logan wrestle at state. I was going to have a quiet day at home by myself. First the phone rang at 6:00 to tell me that school would be delayed 2 hours because of snow. Then Mike got up to get ready. Tim picked him up at 7:30. Fifteen minutes later the phone rang, and it was Logan's mother telling me that Logan didn't make weight. He was 4 ounces over, and therefore disqualified. I called Mike on the cell phone to tell them so they wouldn't go in for nothing. No answer. I tried Tim's phone. No answer. I tried Mike's phone again, and finally he answered. They came back. In the meantime, Daniel was playing in the snow and waiting for school to start. Finally he headed out at 9:30. Mike was pretty irritated with Logan, and disappointed for Logan and himself. He wanted to do something, so we headed for the casino. We went to Spirit Mountain on the other side of McMinville. We had fun, but didn't win.
Friday we had a quiet day during the day, but took Daniel and Scott to Hillsboro to catch Max to Portland and the train to Eugene for the weekend.
On Saturday I attended a Founder's day luncheon for P.E.O. It was in Clatskanie and was quite lovely. Chapter T hosted and the chapters from St Helens and Vernonia were the guests. He had a lovely lunch, met some great people, and saw some good entertainment.

Daniel enjoyed the snow. Daniel is enjoying school in Vernonia. Today was wild hair day, part of spirit week.

Some of our P.E.O. sisters.

Lovely tables.

The luncheon was in the school library. It was held there in honor of one of their member that recently died. The library was named in her honor.

These ladies were wonderful on their ukuleles.


Kay said...

Hi Ilene, It's so very nice to meet you. Thank you very much for your visit. Looking at your photos reminded me of my school in Illinois. I haven't subbed yet. I was going to... but not yet.

Linda Reeder said...

Glad to hear from you.
Too bad about Daniel's wrestling.
You do get around!

Gayle said...

My goodness you Vernonians have gotten a lot of snow this winter!! You have been very busy it seems. Thanks for sharing!

diane said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. I love the red hat group, I have read about it somewhere but can't remember what it is about. Sorry to hear about Mike's problems but he seems to be getting better. It must have been a worrying time for you. I am also a retired teacher but from primary(elementary) school. I sometimes do relief(sub) work.

Dave said...

I liked your picture of the little tree with the snow on. Lovely! - Dave

Mare said...

Thanks for stopping by. I am just returning after 17 days in hosp/rehab for a broken leg! A retired teacher also.
Your photos brought me right back to my elem school library and memories from years ago.